Richmond, North Yorkshire

Tweet us on TwitterJoin us on Facebook

Richmond OnLine
www.richmond.org

Richmond, North Yorkshire - Richmond Online
Photo: Richmond, North Yorkshire

Richmond OnLine - Local News

Share this page:
Richmond Shortlisted For The 2018 Great British High Street Awards
Sunday - September 23, 2018
The Richmond Business and Tourism Association entered the town into the 2018 Great British High Street Awards in the ‘Champion’ category as Original Richmond Market Town. We are pleased to announce that we have been selected as one of 26 towns shortlisted in this category, plus a further 12 are shortlisted as ‘Rising Stars’.

The judging panel said, “Richmond has a number of inspiring trading initiatives, including Love Being Local, Richmond Town Ticket and the October Loyalty promotion, to provide interest and incentives for residents and visitors to shop locally. Events also help to drive footfall such as the Walking and Books Festival, GeorgeFest, which celebrates Richmond’s Georgian history, and vintage markets. 

Richmond is improving the high street environment through the introduction of more flower baskets and areas planted with fruit and herbs, to be enjoyed by the public. 
Support for local wildlife is also prioritised, with bee-friendly planting, an insect hotel and the installation of bat boxes. Many local businesses are online thanks to the Richmond website and community social media channels.”

The Great British High Street judges will be coming to Richmond on Wednesday 17th October. Their visit accounts for 70% of the overall judging mark. The other 30% is determined by the public through social media.

There will be four National Champion winners – one each from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland – who will each win a £5,000 contribution towards a street party or similar celebration. There will also be four  Rising Star Awards of a £5,000 grant towards a local community or technology project for each country.

The overall UK winner to be chosen as the High Street of the Year from the 26 Champion and 12 Rising Star awards will receive a £10,000 prize for a local community project in addition to their Champion or Rising Star award.

Please show your support for Richmond’s entry. Simply post on facebook, twitter or Instagram using #MYHIGHSTREET and #GBHSRichmond to register a vote. These posts will be aggregated by location and as a percentage of the estimated population contributing 30% to the high street’s final score.

Many businesses in Richmond are taking part in the VISA GBHS Spend and win the competition – look out for the window stickers and counter displays. 

The VISA GBHS Street Team will be visiting Richmond on Wednesday 17 October to promote our achievements and surprise and delight local businesses and consumers with activities and giveaways.

Shortlisted finalists are to be invited to an awards ceremony in London in November, when the winners will be announced, celebrating the high streets that are succeeding and influencing change.
Share this page:

Richmond Online

Welcome to Richmond

Join us on Facebook Tweet us on Twitter